Crane Lake Township

Current Topics

9/14/21 Minutes



September 14, 2021



The September 14, 2021, Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Jim Janssen at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including Gary Cerkvenik of the Costin Group, Jason Chopp of S.E.H., David Jordan of ARI; Supervisors Kara Knutson & Jim Janssen; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman; and 7 members of the community.   Supervisor Jerry Pohlman was absent.




Additions to the Agenda:  There were none.


Minutes – A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jim, to approve the minutes of the 8/10/21 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


Treasurer’s Report –The August Cash Balances were read, and the bills were presented as follows: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Lake Country Power – $146.56; St. Louis County Auditor – $1,453.70; Jeff Truebenbach – $900.00; CLVTB –$636.57.  A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jim, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


The Clerk presented the correspondence.  The correspondence was received and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.





VNP-Visitor Center/Campsite:

Presentations replaced the Committee Report:

Gary Cerkvenik of the Costin Group was present to report results of discussions with the VNP regarding lease arrangements and the Park’s assistance for the project.  A list of the discussion items was presented to the Board and the Committee prior to the meeting outlining the discussion topics.

Jason Chopp of S.E.H. will be the Project Manager lead on the project.  A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to sign the Agreement for Professional Services between the Town of Crane Lake and Short Elliott Hendrickson, Inc. authorizing and describing the scope, schedule, and payment conditions for Consultant work on the Project described as:  VNP Visitor’s Center and RV Campground, contingent upon DNR grants approval. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Agreement will be reviewed by the Township’s attorney.  Jason requested a list of Committee members with email addresses and phone numbers in preparation for the kickoff meeting. Jason said their goal would be to be shovel ready for the Visitor Center and Campground by spring.  The Committee and Board could decide at that point whether to proceed or wait.

David Jordan of ARI explained their process – Gather ideas, present conceptual drawings with exterior elevations and building options, discuss development, then provide construction documents.  Kevin will be the lead architect; Katie will do interior design and will be the lead contact from ARI.  Someone will attend meetings. David agreed with Jason that planning should be done this winter to be shovel ready by spring.  A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to sign the Agreement between the Town of Crane Lake and Architectural Resources, Inc. for the Crane Lake Visitor Center project, contingent upon DNR grants approval.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.  The Agreement will be reviewed by the Township’s attorney.


Bayside Drive Upgrade:  County Commissioner Paul McDonald was contacted, and the County has asked for more information to consider Bayside Drive as a County Road.  A drawing of Bayside Drive showing its proximity to the DNR Public Water Access and the Visitor Center was requested – Gary and Jason will work on providing that.  The Board agreed that something would have to be done with the road.


Pathway/Road between the DNR Public Water Access and the Visitor Center:  Kristen Scott was contacted via email twice during the month, regarding the sale of her property with no response received.  Deena Congdon volunteered to send her a text. A decision should be made within the next 8 weeks for funding options.  The Board needs to consider other options.


Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – September 14, 2021



VNP-Visitor Center/Campsite: (Cont.)

Grounds Clean-up:  There was no report.  This item will be removed from the Agenda.

Docks:  There was no report. This item will be removed from the Agenda.


Funding:  Gary provided funding information in his report provided to the Board and the Committee. LCCMR grants have been approved. Applications have been made for Bonding funds and IRRR funds. The Township may need additional building resources that could be obtained through a municipal bond to be paid through proceeds from a 20-year GSA lease. The VNP has committed to a budget of $1.5 million for exhibits.  The VNP has committed to an overall annual lease rate of between $150,000 to $200,000.


ATV Report:  Bruce Beste reported that everything is on the fast track.  Funding is being received and work is moving forward.  There is a meeting in International Falls on Wednesday.  Mark Anderson added to the report describing the work that was going on both for upgrading at current sites and new construction.  The Club may be able to obtain funding for maintenance of roads.


Trails Report:  There was no report.


Land Use Project:  Kara reported that the Certificate of Survey was received. Kara will do some lot sketches and provide different options for the Committee to consider. Bruce Beste reminded everyone that he knows someone who is interested in purchasing a large portion of the property.  He also knows of other possible interest in lot purchases. Lori Sanborn asked to become part of the Committee.  Current Committee members are:  Kara Knutson, Bruce Beste, Ed Thornton, Serena Swenson, and now Lori Sanborn.


Neighborhood Watch Report:  There was nothing new to report.  This item will be removed from the Agenda.


American Rescue Plan Act Fund:  It is undecided at this point how the funds will be used; Broadband is being considered.


Broadband Committee Report:  There was no report.



NEW BUSINESS – There was none.


Comments from Officers:  There were none.


Public Comments:   Deena Congdon advised that she had sent a text to Kristen Scott regarding her property sale.  Lori Sanborn requested an update on the Land Use Project; which was provided.  Mary McKie asked for names of the Visitor Center Committee members.  Nancy Ross requested that she be included in meetings in future via phone or some other method as she will be leaving the area for the summer.




Next Meeting:   Board of Supervisors’ Meeting – October 12, 2021 – 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall



There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM.






Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk                                                  Jim Janssen, Vice-Chairman







This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes.  Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.