Crane Lake Township

Current Topics

6/12/18 Minutes



June 12, 2018



The June 12, 2018 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman  at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman; and 3 members of the community.





Additions to the Agenda:  Customs Kiosks was added to New Business


Minutes – A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve the minutes of the 5/8/18 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


Treasurer’s Report –The May Cash Balances were read and the bills were presented as follows:  Costin Group – $1,753.60; Lake Country Power – $146.56; Lutefisk Tech. – $33.90; St. Louis County Auditor – $52.00; CLVTB – $167.92;  and Payroll – $567.05.  A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


The Clerk presented the correspondence.  The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.





Jacque Eggen Memorial Fund:  Jodi Driggs presented a flag and gabions concept for the memorial.  Jodi and Butch will continue to work on the project and report back to the Board.


Costin Group Report:  There was no report.


VNP-Visitor Center/Campsite:

  • Grounds Cleanup: The planned burn was scrapped due to weather conditions and timing.  It will be considered again in the fall.  Randy Clemmer has begun mowing the area near the bridge and to Handberg Road along the road sides.
  • Docks:  The group again discussed the docks and interest in dock rental was presented.  Bruce Beste said he would be able to present a management option for this summer to the board within a week.
  • Student Feasibility Study/Committee Report:  Gretchen Janssen spoke for the Committee stating that VNP Superintendent Bob DeGross was willing to submit a lease agreement to the GSA; however, this procedure could take up to five years.  The Board asked the Committee to pursue funding options for the visitor center. The idea of a fire pit was considered with the Board deciding against it at this time due to insurance reasons.
  • CIC Covenants/Unit 13:  Jerry reported that the Township’s attorney advised two options for the Covenants.  One was to modify the current covenants to meet Township needs; the other was to dissolve the covenants – which he recommended as the cleanest way.  Jerry will have a telephone conference with attorney Bob Ruppe and the owners of Unit 13 on Tuesday to discuss options that will be best for everyone involved.


.ATV Use:  Bruce Beste reported that the County Board is prepared to vote on the Gold Coast Road to Vermilion Falls area at their next meeting.  The IRRRB is interested in the bridge project for possible funding.  Funding to connect trails between Grand Rapids and Grand Marais is still an option.  There is a meeting at Wolf Bay Lodge Wednesday evening.


Trails Report:  There was no report.


Land Use Project:  Because the community is so involved in developing the Visitor Center/Campground area, the development of the Land Exchange area will be addressed later on.


IRRRB Voyageur Statue Work:  There was nothing new to report.

Town Of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – June 12, 2018





2017 Population & Household Estimates:  The State Demographer produces annual population and household estimates for Minnesota cities and townships.  The estimates for Crane Lake are:  Population – 72, Households – 33.


Other New Business: Butch commented that the Customs Kiosks were not dependable, were slow because of our lack of high speed internet and created a timing problem with large groups.  A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jerry, for Butch to create a draft letter to Customs agents with copies to Rep. Nolan, Sen. Bakk, Sen. Klobuchar, Rep. Ecklund expressing the concerns of the Crane Lake area.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


Comments from Officers:  There were no comments.


Public Comments:  There were no comments.



Next Meeting:    Board of Supervisors’ Meeting – 7/10/18, 7:30PM – Fellowship Hall



There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:00PM.






Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk                                                  Jerry Pohlman, Chairman


































This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes.  Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.