TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
March 9, 2021
The March 9, 2021 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 6:15PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with those in attendance including Supervisors Kara Knutson & Jerry Pohlman; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, and 7 members of the community. Supervisor Jim Janssen was absent.
Additions to the Agenda: – There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to approve the minutes of the 2/9/21 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report –The February Cash Balances were read and the bills were presented as follows: Costin Group – $1,250.00; Lake Country Power – $146.56; Timberjay – $56.30 and Payroll $1,061.38. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Kara, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Costin Group Report: There was none.
Committee Report: The Committee presented a list of action items to the Board as follows:
- The Town contact S.E.H. Engineering Firm requesting a contract with estimates to act as project manager for the Visitor Center/Campground project and asking for a Scope of Work. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to ask S.E.H. to be the Visitor Center/Campground project manager and to provide a Scope of Work. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Town contact Kristen Scott, homeowner, and hire an appraiser should she wish to go forward with selling her home and property to the Town. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Kara, to write a letter to Kristen asking if she is still interested in selling her property and would she agree to an appraisal. All voted in favor and the motion carried. The Board and those present discussed appraiser options.
- The Town hire Ehlers or a similar company as financial advisor for Crane Lake. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to hire Ehlers as the financial advisor to the Town for the Visitor Center/Campgrounds project. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Town select a legal firm for representation for the adoption of partnerships process for the Visitor Center. Options were discussed.
- The Town consider forming a new committee to explore the construction of an ATV Trailhead.
- The Town send a letter to VNP Superintendent Bob DeGross asking for the written agreements between the Park and the Town regarding the Visitor Center.
- The Town approve Mark Anderson as representative and point of contact for the DNR with plans for development of the boat ramp on the DNR property. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to appoint Mark Anderson as the Town representative to communicate with the DNR regarding the development of the boat ramp on the DNR property. A voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Town pass a resolution (as requested by the Costin Group) to prepare for grant assistance with the IRRRB. A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to advise the Costin Group to proceed with requesting grant assistance from the IRRRB. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
- The Town submit to the Committee a written list of priorities to be included in the design of the Visitor Center. The Town will work with the Committee on the priorities list.
Grounds Clean-up: There was no report.
Docks: There was no report.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – March 9, 2021
ATV Report: Bruce advised those present that the next ATV meeting is scheduled for Wed., March 10th at 6:30PM at Scott’s Bar & Grill. A big thank you to Gretchen Janssen for her work with the ATV Club.
Trails Report: Deena provided a photo of a drag that she and Bill use for trails near their home as an example of what could be made for trail grooming. She advised that Tim Engrav of the USFS is ready to talk to the Committee about hiking trails and is available for a meeting. She reminded the Township Board to write a letter to Tim in support of developing trails in the area. Deena no longer wished to be the Chair of the Trail Committee and asked for someone else to come forward.
Land Use Project: The Land Use Project Committee, consisting of Kara, Bruce Beste, and Ed Thornton, walked the Township property south of White Pine Way finding if attractive for lot division and also found an area that could be considered for an all-trails trail head. The Committee will continue with the project including a land survey.
IRRRB Voyageur Statue Work: The project is on hold until spring and will be remove from the Agenda for the present.
Scott’s Seaplane Base: A letter was written to Darrell Scott asking if he wished the Township to continue with the Feasibility Study. Darrell is working with Kaci Nowiki to arrive at a decision for the Board.
Neighborhood Watch Report: There was nothing new.
CLWSD Board Appointment: A motion was made by Kara, supported by Jerry, to adopt Resolution No. 2021-02 electing Deena Congdon to the Board of Managers of the CLWSD. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Other New Business: Bruce Beste asked that the Board work with Gary Cerkvenik on action regarding the trailhead.
Comments from Officers: Jo Ann told the community that Cty. Commissioner Paul McDonald said that the bridge by the VRT would be patched this spring and work on the bridge is planned for 2025 or 2026.
Public Comments: There were none.
Next Meeting: Board of Supervisors’ Meeting – April 13, 2021 – 5:30PM, Fellowship Hall
Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting – April 29, 2021, 1PM, Fellowship Hall
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:20PM
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.