TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
February 11, 2014
The February 11, 2014 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with those in attendance including: Guest Speaker VNP Superintendent Mike Ward, Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman, Treasurer Shannon Bibeau, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman and 6 members of the community.
Jerry introduced Superintendent Mike Ward and turned the meeting over to him for his presentation.
Superintendent Mike Ward began by stating that he wished to begin a discussion with the Crane Lake community about a possible drive in campground in Crane Lake. The park has received pressure over several different studies related to gateway communities and tourism that keep placing the lack of a National Park Service (NPS) drive in campground as a high priority for the park to address. Mr. Ward feels that this type of facility should be addressed in the Crane Lake area before other areas, mainly because Crane Lake currently has no official NPS presence. The NPS is lacking funds for such projects and is looking for ways to provide a NPS presence along with a way to fund it. The discussion that Mr. Ward would like to get going is: Does Crane Lake have an opinion against the NPS creating a drive in campground to help fund a center here? Does Crane Lake think this should be a private/public partnership between the Park and Crane Lake? Does Crane Lake think the idea should be dropped and the NPS should continue looking for other ways to fund a center? Does Crane Lake feel a NPS owned/local business run (contract) campground is a better consideration? Mr. Ward asked how the community would like to move forward with discussion. It was suggested that he attend the March Annual Meeting to speak to the community again.
Additions to the Agenda: There were no additions to the Agenda.
Minutes – A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the minutes of the 1/14/2014 Board of Supervisors’ & Reorganization Meeting. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Shannon read the January Cash Balances and presented the bills as follows: St. Louis County Assoc. of Twps. – $424.44; Heart of the Continent Partnership – $100.00; Lutefisk Tech. – $85.00; CLVTB – $1,135.92; Fryberger, Buchanan – $722.75 CL Sustainable Land Corp. – $200.00; and Payroll $531.38. A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jerry, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
Fund Transfers: A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim, to transfer $1,947.15 from the Community Property Project Fund to the General Fund and $6,477.76 from the Fire Fund to the General Fund. All voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Land Exchange/Community Property Project: Butch reported that consultant Dave Schmidt is no longer able to work with the CL Sustainable Land Corp. and that Deena Congdon would be completing the land exchange work. A punch list was provided to the Corp. with only one item needing to be addressed by Crane Lake. That item has been addressed. Deena reported that September 1st is being looked at as the closing date for the land exchange. Attorney Huck Andreson is doing the closing work. Butch asked that the punch list be attached to the minutes.
Jacque Eggen Memorial Fund: There was no report.
Crane Lake Road Repair: There was no new report. Deena volunteered to organize the writing of letters to Congressmen and County Commissioners in an effort to expedite repair of the Orr to Crane Lake road.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – February 11, 2014
Budget Committee Proposed 2014 Levy: The Board accepted the Budget Committee’s proposed levy of $90,000 at the Board of Audit meeting.
Other New Business: There was none.
Comments from Officers: Butch said it was nice to see people come out to the meeting to hear Mike Ward speak and hopes the community will continue the dialog with the park.
Public Comments: There were none.
Next Meeting: Annual Town Meeting, March 11, 2014 – 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, March 11, 2014 – Following Annual Meeting
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.
CLSLC PTO PUNCH LIST 2013-01-26
- Title Commitments (including all revisions/endorsements)
- Copies of all recorded documents referenced in the Commitment
- Curative documents
- None known other than required by title commitment
- Exchange Agreement
- Evidence of signatory authority[EMS1]
- ________ Corporate Resolution need from CLSLC
- Land Description Verification (LDV) for Federal Land
7. Land Description Verification (LDV) for Non-Federal – Lake County
- Federal Land Status Report (prepare with new Statement of Status)[TAH2]
- ________ Status Nonfed 1-3
- ________ Status Nonfed 4-6
- ________ Status Nonfed 7-8
- Certificate of Possession [EMS3] (must be dated within 12 months of closing)
- ________ C/P Nonfed 1-3
- ________ C/P Nonfed 4-6
- ________ C/P Nonfed 7-8
- Certificate of Use and Consent
- After physical inspections and mineral review, signed by Forest Supervisor [EMS4]
- Special Certificate of Use and Consent (Not Applicable)
- County Notification
- ________ St. Louis County
- ________ DNR Regional Director
- Congressional Notification
- ________ Senator Klobuchar
- ________ Senator Franken
- ________ Representative Nolan
- Tribal Notification[EMS5]
- ________ Bois Forte
- ________ Fond du Lac
- ________ Grand Portage
- ________ 1854 Treaty Authority
- Certificate of No Protest
- ________ signed by Liz Schleif
- Notice of Exchange Proposal (NOEP)
- Affidavit of Publication for NOEP
- Decision Document
- Agreement to Initiate
- Phase I Environmental Site Assessment – AAI Compliant.
- ________ Warranty deed to be recorded within 180 days of Phase 1
- Land Transaction Screen Process Worksheets 1-5 (Federal Land)
- Mineral Character Determination
- ___X_____ MCD
- ________ Request for Regional Review of Acquisition with Mineral Reservations signed by Forest Supervisor
- Appraisal Review
- LADS Summary
- Certificate of Compliance – P.L.91-646
- ________ signed by Liz Schleif