Crane Lake Township

Current Topics

2/9/21 Minutes



February 9, 2021



The February 9, 2021 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 5:37PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Jason Chopp  of S.E.H.; Supervisors Jim Janssen, Kara Knutson & Jerry Pohlman; Treasurer Traci Bak; Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, and 2 members of the community.  Gary Cerkvenik and Jeff Anderson of the Costin Group, VNP Superintendent Bob DeGrosse, Mike Larson of S.E.H., and others involved in the Visitor Center and/or the Kicker Blvd. annexation process attended via Zoom.




Additions to the Agenda:  – There were none.


Jerry introduced Gary Cerkvenik and Jeff Anderson of the Costin Group and turned the meeting over to them for an update on the Visitor Center.


Gary Cerkvenik advised those in attendance that he was confident that the LCCMR 5.8 million grant would be awarded to the Town of Crane Lake by July 1, 2021.  3.1 million would be for the Campground and 2.7 million would be for the Visitor Center.  It is time for the Committee and the Town Board to work on the following:  1) Design and construction of the Campground.  2) Design and construction of the Visitor Center. 3) Work with the DNR on updates at the Bayside Drive Water Access site. 4) Review purchase of the home between the DNR site and the Township land.    The VNP has been very helpful thus far and their needs for the Visitor Center need to be defined.  An appraisal of the possible land purchase should be made.  Jeff Anderson spoke about the review of grants and the meeting with St. Louis County to be the fiscal agent for the Town.  The County would help front the money needed to pay bills that would then be reimbursed through the LCCMR process.  The County would charge the Township an hourly rate of 1-2% of the grants.  Mike Larson of S.E.H. told the group that reporting with LCCMR is done online. The draft work plan and report are due by 2/16/21.  Once those plans are approved by the LCCMR they become the approved work plan and will need to be updated 2 to 3 times throughout the project with a final report at the end of the project.  The Committee and Board will need to decide what they want, to determine how much of the project the grant money will cover.  After that, Gary Cerkvenik & Jeff Anderson would seek other funding should it be needed.  VNP Superintendent Bob DeGrosse said that he and Holly Larsen would develop a draft Design & Construction Agreement and draft Operations and Maintenance Agreement identifying the needs of the VNP to be reviewed by the Committee and the Board.  The Costin Group will provide two resolutions for the next Township meeting:  One authorizing the Costin Group to move forward with procuring additional funding for the project, and the other regarding bonding for an ATV trail head.  Gary suggested that the township consider having a financial advisor.  Mike Larson and Jason Chopp of S.E.H. offered their firm’s services to handle anything that the Township would request, including architectural work and landscaping.  They suggested that designs should be done in 2021, with construction beginning in 2022. Gary asked Superintendent Bob DeGrosse to reach out to others that may wish to partnership.  The Board thanked everyone for their input and for updating the Committee and the Board so that they can move forward.


ATV Report:  Bruce Beste was present to report that the EAW process is nearly complete.  The Buyck to Shuster trail is temporarily on hold.  Seven other priority segments have been selected for future plans.  The Club is working on costing, design, and work plans for more ATV trails.


Minutes – A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to approve the minutes of the 1/12/21 Board of Supervisors’ and Reorganization Meeting.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


Treasurer’s Report –The January Cash Balances were read and the bills were presented as follows: St. Louis County Assoc. of Twps. – $452.34; Backus Community Center – $100.00; Costin Group – $1,250.00; Lake Country Power – $146.56; CLVTB – $548.30; S.E.H. – $11,725.00 and Payroll $611.17.  A motion was made by Jim, supported by Kara, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


Fund Transfers:  A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim, to approve the fund transfers recommended by the Clerk and Treasurer.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


The Clerk presented the correspondence.  The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.


Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – February 9, 2021





Costin Group Report:  Above.


VNP-Visitor Center/Campsite:

Committee Report: There was no report.

Grounds Clean-up:  There was no report.

Docks:  There was no report.

CIC Covenants/Unit 13:  Jim called Ty Shuck to see if he wanted to contribute anything to the CIC amendments before the Board acted.  He did not.  A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Kara, to amend the CIC covenants as recommended by Attorney Bryan Lindsay of Trenti Law Firm.  All voted in favor and the motion carried.


ATV Report:  Above.


Trails Report:  The Committee had discussion throughout the month and plan to meet with Tim Engrave of the USFS to see what can be done on the Chaffee trail.


Land Use Project:  Kara has reviewed what should be done with the property.  Her suggestion is to have the land surveyed and divided into lots.  Work will continue.


IRRRB Voyageur Statue Work:  The project is on hold until spring.


Scott’s Seaplane Base:  A letter will be written to Darrell Scott to see if he wants to Township to continue the Feasibility Study.


Neighborhood Watch Report:  There was nothing new.


Kicker Blvd. Annexation:  This item will be removed from the agenda until there is action by the CLWSD.





CLWSD Board Appointment:  The District still needs a Board Manager.  Looking for a volunteer.


Board of Appeal & Equalization Meeting:  Time and date is set for April 29, 2021 at 1PM at the Fellowship Hall.


Other New Business:  There was none.


Comments from Officers:  There were none.


Public Comments: There were none.



Next Meeting:   Annual Meeting – March 9, 2021 – 5:30PM, Fellowship Hall

Board of Supervisors’ Meeting –Immediately Following


There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 7:25PM






Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk                                                  Jerry Pohlman, Chairman




This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes.  Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.