January 18, 2005: Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
January 18, 2005
The January 18, 2005 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Mark Anderson at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Mark Anderson, Jerry Pohlman, and Jim Janssen, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, Treasurer Jacque Eggen, and 4 members of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Mark, to approve the minutes of the 12/14/2004 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Treasurer Jacque read the Treasurer’s Report. Jacque then presented the bills as follows: IRS – $153.00; St. Louis County Auditor – $70.58; CLVTB – $174.80; CLWSD – $98.00; CLVFD – $10,935.00 and Payroll – $319.80. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. Motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Community Priority Projects Reports:
- Communications/Cell Phones – Jim reported that he had communicated with the Rural Cellular Company (RCC) regarding our needs as they specifically assist areas with requests similar to ours. They are looking into Federal or State funding that may be available for these purposes. Use of the County tower near the landfill is still being considered as well as the Voyageur Park tower near Mukooda Lake. Jim will continue along these lines.
- Land Exchange/Community Property Project & Trails/Beautification – Ruth L. Carlson was not present to report. A letter was received from Susan Hankner and Ron Bushbaum supporting the land exchange with respect to Potlatch property near their property along the Hunting Shack River on Forest Rd. 199. Butch Eggen added that a meeting is planned with Potlatch on the land exchange process.
Zoning of Town Properties: Rob Scott was not present to report. Jo Ann stated that she had communicated with Scott Smith but he was not prepared to send his written response. Community member Darrell Scott explained to the Board what he felt was the County’s current position on the zoning of the Crane Lake sewered area. The Board discussed sending a letter to Barbara Hayden, St. Louis County Planning, with copies to all County Commissioners stating the Boards views.
Resolution: Anderson Canoe Outfitters Tobacco License: A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim to adopt a resolution issuing Anderson Canoe Outfitters, Inc. d/b/a Anderson Canoe Outfitters, Inc. a tobacco products license for the year ending the 31st day of December 2005. The vote was as follows: Jerry – Yes, Jim – Yes, Mark – Abstain. Motion carried.
March Town Board Elections:
- Candidate Filing: Jerry Pohlman – Supervisor – 3 Year Term; Jacque Eggen – Treasurer – 2 Year Term. Both will run unopposed.
- Absentee Ballots: Absentee Ballots will be available beginning February 4, 2005. Applications may be requested from the Town Clerk or letters of application may be sent to the Town Clerk for absentee ballots now. Absentee Ballot information will be included in the Crane Lake news in local papers and is currently on the Town website at www.cranelaketwp.com.
- Election Judges: A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim to appoint Shirley Sanborn, Charlotte Bystrom, and Virginia Marshall as election judges for the March 8, 2005 Annual Town Elections with Jim Phelps as an alternate judge and Shirley Sanborn as the head judge. Motion carried.
Board of Audit Meeting Date & Time: A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry to set the Board of Audit meeting date at 2/8/05 and the time at 7:00PM. The February Board of Supervisors’ meeting will follow at 7:30PM.
- There was discussion on who should replace Ruth L. Carlson as the supervisor member on the Budget Committee. Current members are Clerk Jo Ann, Treasurer Jacque, and community members Mike White and Dee Kuder. Jerry volunteered to serve on the committee. A motion was made by Mark, support by Jim, to appoint Jerry to the Budget Committee. Motion carried.
- Meeting Date & Time. January 25th, January 31st, and February 3rd are dates being considered for the first Budget Committee meeting. 10AM was the time selected. The meeting will be posted.
Harvey Parvi asked to hear the Communications/Cell Phones report as he was not present at the time of the report. See above.
Comments from Officers: There were none.
Next Board of Supervisors’ Meeting: February 8, 2005, at 7:30PM at the Fellowship Hall with the Board of Audit Meeting preceding at 7:00PM.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Mark Anderson, Chairman