April 13, 2004: Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS ‘ MEETING
April 13, 2004
The April 13, 2004 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Vice-Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:35PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with the Pledge of Allegiance recited by those in attendance including: Supervisors Jerry Pohlman and Jim Janssen, Treasurer Jacque Eggen, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, a reporter from the Voyageur Sentinel, and 10 members of the community. Supervisor Mark Anderson was absent.
Additions to the Agenda: Clerk Jo Ann added Community Clean-up Day to New Business
Minutes – A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry to approve the minutes of the 3/18/2004 Reorganization/Board of Supervisors’ Meeting. Motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Jacque read the Treasurer’s Report. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry, to approve the Treasurer’s Report. Motion carried. Jacque then presented the bills as follows: ElyMinnesota.com – $65.00; Vidmar Appraisals – $340.00; IRS – $159.13; CLVTB – $523.85; Nelson’s Resort – $3,324.24; Postmaster – $37.00; Jo Ann Pohlman – $34.30; Jim Janssen – $117.00 and Payroll – $349.08. A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry, to approve the payment of bills. Motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Help American Vote Act (HAVA): Clerk Jo Ann reported that little work had been done on HAVA. Calls to the Secretary of State Office were made to get information on ordering required HAVA approved election supplies. The grant application must be submitted by April 30, 2004.
Community Priority Projects Reports:
- Trails/Beautification – Chairman Mark was not present to report.
- Communications/Cell Phones – No Report.
- Land Exchange/Community Property Project – Ruth L. Carlson reported that there is a meeting planned with Executive Director Okey Ukaga of the Northeast Minnesota Sustainable Development Partnership and C.J. Rodriguez, head of the Landscape Changing Program on April 15th. After that meeting she will have more to report.
Broadband Service: Clerk Jo Ann presented Dee Kuder’s report on Wi-Fi technology. Wi-Fi technology allows a person with a laptop computer, a pda, or a cell phone with a Wi-Fi chip built in, to connect to this wireless service and use the Internet. If anyone has experience with this technology, please contact Dee at 993-2445.
Communications/Cell Phone Chair Appointment: A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim, to combine Broadband Service with Communications/Cell Phone and to appoint Dee Kuder the Chairman. Motion carried.
Re-Zoning of Town Properties: A letter was sent to St. Louis County on March 20th and again in early April requesting their assistance in studying this issue. There has not been a response to date.
MAT Spring Short Course 4/2/04 Report: Jerry and Jim learned that they could not discuss township issues when not at a meeting, among many other things, at the sessions designed for new officers. Jo Ann reported that the ‘Check 21 Act’ would affect the bookkeeping aspects of the town. Banks may now use optical scanning rather than returning paper checks for reconciliation. Township law will need to be changed to coincide with the banking industry. The CTAS update, due by the end of the year, will be provided to townships at no expense.
St. Louis County Public Works Dept. – Possible Strike. Clerk Jo Ann read a letter received from St. Louis County Public Works Department regarding a possible strike by maintenance employees, which would affect the maintenance performed on county roads. Butch Eggen said he thought the strike had been averted.
Tobacco License Renewal – Nelson’s Resort: A motion was made by Jim to approve Nelson’s Resort’s application for a tobacco products license for 2004. As a member of Nelson’s Resort, Jerry abstained from voting; then reinstated his right to second the motion as was necessary. Motion carried.
Liquor License Renewals:
- A motion was made by Jim, supported by Jerry to grant Pine Point Lodge & Resort, Inc.’s request for renewal of 2004-2005 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor License. Motion carried.
- A motion was made by Jim to grant Nelson’s Resort Inc.’s request for renewal of 2004-2005 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor License. As a member of Nelson’s Resort, Jerry abstained from voting; then reinstated his right to second the motion as was necessary. Motion carried.
- A motion was made by Jerry to grant J and G Enterprises of Kab, LLP d/b/a Voyagaire Lodge & Houseboats’ request for renewal of 2004-2005 Combination On/Off-Sale and Sunday On-Sale Intoxicating Liquor License. As a member of Voyagaire Lodge & Houseboats, Jim abstained from voting; then reinstated his right to second the motion as was necessary. Motion carried.
Community Clean-Up Day: Shirley Sanborn suggested that the Town have a Community Clean-Up Day to pick up debris along the roadsides of the Town. There was much discussion with the Board and community members present with a tentative date set for April 24th. A motion was made by Jerry, supported by Jim to appoint Shirley Sanborn to Chair a committee to organize the Community Clean-Up Day. Motion carried.
Public Comments: None
Comments from Officers. Jo Ann said that there were letters coming in for the Board of Appeals & Equalization meeting.
Next Meeting: Board of Appeals & Equalization Meeting, April 21, 2004 at 2PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall.
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, May 11, 2004 at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned by Chairman Mark at 8:10PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Vice-Chairman