April 10, 2007: Minutes
TOWN OF CRANE LAKE
BOARD OF SUPERVISORS’ MEETING
April 10, 2007
The April 10, 2007 Board of Supervisors’ Meeting was called to order by Chairman Jerry Pohlman at 7:30PM at the Crane Lake Chapel Fellowship Hall with those in attendance including: Supervisors Butch Eggen, Jim Janssen and Jerry Pohlman, Treasurer Terrie Hoff, Clerk Jo Ann Pohlman, reporters from the Voyageur Sentinel and Cook News-Herald, and 5 members of the community.
Additions to the Agenda: There were none.
Minutes – A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jim, to approve the minutes of the 3/20/07 Supervisors’/Reorganization Meeting. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
Treasurer’s Report – Terrie read the March Cash Balances and presented the bills as follows: McCahill Publishing Inc. – $49.50; Jo Ann Pohlman – $35.00; Arthur Eggen – $98.05; CLVTB – $986.16 and Payroll – $471.31 A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to approve the Treasurer’s Report as read and the payment of bills. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
The Clerk presented the correspondence. The correspondence was received as read and will be placed on file and acted upon as required.
Land Exchange/Community Property Project – Ruth L. Carlson reported that the language for the financing for the land purchase is in a Senate bill waiting to be passed. Information is ready to go to the Tax Committee in the House. We should have an answer in approximately two weeks.
Culvert: There was no update.
Community Action Plan Update Committee Report: There was no update.
April Short Course – Fortune Bay 4/6/07: Jo Ann and Butch attended the Short Course. Butch reported that he attended the sessions for supervisors. The morning session was ‘Objects in the Ditch are Risky’; which focused on right-of-ways, easements, etc. Jo Ann reported that her sessions included Risk Management, stressing the importance of the Oath of Office; Public Information Procedure, Meeting Management and Financial Review. The new HAVA equipment may not be required for township elections for a few more years and possibly not at all.
Liquor License Renewals:
- A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to grant requests for renewals of 2007-2008 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor Licenses for Anderson Outfitters, Handberg’s Marine, Pine Point Lodge & Resort, and Scott’s of Crane Lake. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
- A motion was made by Jim to grant a request for renewal of a 2007-2008 3.2 Percent Malt Liquor License for Nelson’s Resort. Butch and Jerry abstained from supporting the motion as owners of Nelson’s Resort. Butch reinstated himself to support the motion. Jim and Butch voted in favor with Jerry abstaining. Motion carried.
- A motion was made by Butch, supported by Jerry, to grant a request for renewal of an On/Off-Sale & Sunday On-Sale Intoxicating Liquor License to Voyagaire Lodge and Houseboats. Jerry and Butch voted in favor, Jim abstained as the business owner. Motion carried.
Tobacco License Renewals:
- A motion was made by Jim, supported by Butch, to adopt Resolution #2007-04 approving the issuance of a tobacco products license for Scott’s of Crane Lake for the year ending December 31, 2007. Butch, Jim, and Jerry voted in favor and the motion carried.
- A motion was made by Jim to adopt Resolution #2007-05 approving the issuance of a tobacco products license for Nelson’s Resort for the year ending December 31, 2007. Butch and Jerry abstained from supporting the motion as owners of Nelson’s Resort. Butch reinstated himself to support the motion. Jim and Butch voted in favor with Jerry abstaining. Motion carried.
Town of Crane Lake Meeting Minutes – April 10, 2007
NEW BUSINESS (Cont.)
Spring Clean-Up Day: Spring Clean-Up Day was set for Saturday, April 28th (Earth Day) with April 29th as the ‘rain date’. Shirley Sanborn again volunteered to organize the event and will be posting information. The information will also be on the website – www.cranelaketwp.com and will be in the Crane Lake news of local papers.
Official Newspaper: The decision will again be tabled to research paper circulation of the Cook News-Herald and the Voyageur Sentinel. A letter will be sent to the papers requesting information.
Other New Business – There was none.
Comments from Officers: Jerry thanked Shirley for volunteering to organize the community clean-up day. Butch and Jim echoed his thank you. Butch also thanked Ruth L. Carlson for the work she has done thus far on the Community Property Project.
Ruth L. Carlson presented the 2006 Cook Hospital Annual Report to the Board. She also asked if she could receive a copy of the Community Action Plan report, which will be sent to her. A supply will be placed at the Post Office for others that may wish to have a copy.
Shirley Sanborn asked who held the lease for the land at the corner of Nelson’s Road and the Crane Lake Road where the Voyageur Statue stands. The response was the CLVTB. The Crane Lake Chapel would like to sell memory bricks to place near the statue as a fund raiser for the Chapel. She will bring her request to the CLVTB.
Butch mentioned that the 2008 Minnesota Sesquicentennial Statehood Commission is creating a grants program to assist communities and organizations to create statehood celebrations to recognize Minnesota’s 150th anniversary of statehood. 2008 will be the 50 year anniversary of the Voyageur Statue; Crane Lake could apply for a grant for a celebration.
Next Meetings: Board of Equalization Meeting, May 1, 2007 – 2PM, Fellowship Hall
Board of Supervisors’ Meeting, May 8, 2007 – 7:30PM, Fellowship Hall
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.
Jo Ann Pohlman, Clerk Jerry Pohlman, Chairman
This draft of the Crane Lake Township minutes has been posted solely for preliminary informational purposes. Minutes are unofficial and subject to change until they have been approved by the Crane Lake Board of Supervisors.